If you wanted to cause the viewer to feel cold, gloomy, or sad for whatever is in the picture, you would look for dull lighting in your environment that would give the image a dark tone, and objects or things with a gloomy aspect or color. This means that the picture would have (depending on your exposure and shutter speed) a grayish or blueish color to it.
However, if you wanted to give the reader a pleasant, warm, cozy sensation when viewing an image, you would look for better lighting, which would give the image a warmer, brighter, more colorful tone. This kind of picture would come out (also depending on your exposure and shutter speed) with a reddish or yellowish color tone.
Here's some examples of a picture I took in Bonita Beach some time back. I set my tripod and took the same picture several times just to play around with the shutter speed and camera exposure, but they're the best example I've got. I also edited them and saturated the colors so you could better see what I mean:
What feelings do both of these images produce in you? Do you believe that color and temperature in a picture is what really conveys a feeling to the viewer? Or is it simply just the setting of the picture?
6 comments:
Seriously like you inspire me so much. You take the best pictures not to mention your amazing editing skills. You are so right about the lighting, it does convey different feelings. Keep up your photography cause I expect to see your pictures in National Geographic one day! ;)
These pictures are amazing! I see these pictures in magazines and I am amazed and I can not believe you are taking these amazing pictures. It is shocking how the colors of this picture change the entire mood of the picture. The picture on the left looks to be gloomy and sad because of the use of cool colors, while the right one looks as if it is a beautiful day and much hope and sunshine. The use of color in this picture is astonishing and all of your other pictures are amazing. Keep up the good work bud, these types of pictures are ones you can do alot with and end up in an important magazine someday!
In a photograph, everything in it is an important factor. The overall color scheme (blue, yellow, red, etc.) gives it a sense of temperature and feeling. For example in the pictures you have. Both are the same exact picture just different schemes. One shows a blueish, sad, cold feeling. The other portrays a sense of warmth and enjoyable mood. Depending on what you want the interpreter to take from the picture you adjust your camera. I'm not a big fan of editing pictures, but nowadays everyone does it. I believe a great picture is a mixture of the knowledge the photographer has, the content of the picture and a little bit of luck. I know the original picture of the ones you have will produce a completely different feeling than these two.
color and temperature sure did change the feeling of the picture. I'd never noticed how much difference that can make. The picture on the left seems so gloomy so dark, almost like its the end of the day, but the picture on the right seems like the sun is rising and it's about to be a beautiful day. I guess color and temperature does change the feeling of a picture, but it's not everything, sometimes the setting can change it too.
First of all, your photography is fantastic! I completely agree with your ideas about how tone and lighting can set the mood. Of course, if I am looking at a dark, gloomy picture, it's most likely trying to convey a sad feeling. On the flip side, a picture of a beautiful, bright sunset will of course have a happy tone to it. Your examples are great and convey this completely. Both pictures are of the same scenery, but the one on the left makes you believe a storm is approaching or something.
I always got a sense of that when I saw photographs like this in magazines and tv and ive always wondered how it is that it was done and it was simply the tint. Its amazing how a small thing can impact something to become greater. The photograph goes from a couple of words to worth a million due to simple tininting and lighting.
Post a Comment