Thursday, January 8, 2009

Copywriting Michelangelo


Ceiling image of the Sistine Chapel

The Sistine Chapel. One of the most famous chapels ever painted in history, its ceiling was designed and painted by Michelangelo Buonarotti in 1508 when Pope Julius II commissioned this task to him, which he completed in 1512. Of course many other painters have contributed to painting the many frescoes all over the chapel walls, such as Raphael, Bernini, and Sandro Boticelli. However, Michelangelo is mostly accredited for this masterpiece due to the fact he painted the entire ceiling and his version of "The Last Judgement" (1535-1541).



The Last Judgement

Ok, now that I've covered some history, allow me to explain my title for this post.

It seems that over the years the Vatican has done a pretty good job restoring the paintings in the chapel and keeping in prime conditions. Considering the use they give it and how much tourism attention it receives, they must. However, in 2005 the Vatican issued a call for public sponsorship to be able to fund the restoration of the chapel, given that it would cost them a fortune to do it themselves, to which the Japanese TV network NHK decided to step in.

Here's an article that explains it to more detail, but long story short: any photograph of the Sistine Chapel and of the paintings inside it are now copywrited by NHK.

P.S. As you might have guessed, I was able to sneak out some pictures before I almost had my camera taken away from me. But in my defense, I was clueless of the fact they were copywrited. I found out later that week when I showed the pictures to a friend.

2 comments:

Maria said...

I couldn't be happier to hear that over the years the Vatican has done a pretty good job in restoring the paintings in the chapel and keeping in prime conditions because one day I would love to go to the Sistine Chapel and see this beautiful sight.

Johnny Martinez said...

It's a very honorable thing to do on the behave of Michelangelo, could you imagine if you had your artwork portrayed infront of millions to admire for hundreds of years after your death.