Piazza Navona. Located in Rome, Italy, this plaza is among the many scattered throughout the city, and is one of the most refreshing and tranquil ones of all, though it wasn't always this way. During the time of the Roman Empire, this area was used as a Roman circus, in which games would take place. In later years, the plaza went on to become a playground for the Pamphilj family, and finally a public space. The plaza contains three fountains: the Fountain of the four rivers (by Gian Lorenzo Bernini) at the center, the Fontana di Nettuno (north) and the Fontana del Moro (south), both sculpted by Giacomo della Porta.
The fountain you see in the picture is the Fontana del Moro, and next to it is simply a man dressed as the Statue of Liberty, one of the many people who dress up and stand in plaza's around the city to earn some change. I just found it unique to get to see this: a man dressed as a statue, standing among some of the oldest, most famous sculptures in Rome.
Just felt like sharing this with you guys. Hope I could teach someone something new.
Arrivederci!
2 comments:
I actually thought the guy was a statue before I read your article. Its pretty interesting what people are capable of doing, pretty funny too.
I remember I went to this carnival a couple years ago and there was this "statue" in the mist of the crowd and everyone was walking around it. Then suddenly it just started moving. I was frightened and I jumped so far away from it. I didn't even know I could jump that far. In the end, I was laughing. If he didn't moved I would've assumed it was a statue. It's interesting, though I can't understand how they stand so still.
Post a Comment