Thursday, November 13, 2008

Shutter Speed


One of the most important things you must keep in mind when taking pictures is the fact that, for a picture to come out bright enough or clear enough, it needs to capture enough light through sensors inside the camera. It does this by exposing the sensors to light every time the lens opens and closes. The longer the sensors are exposed (i.e. the greater time the lens stays open), the more photons will be captured.

This is where the camera's shutter speed kicks in. All camera's have this, though it can only be controlled in SLR or DSLR cameras. It basically consists of the lens opening and closing inside, which is what allows light to pass into the camera. It typically ranges from a speed of about 30 seconds (slowest) to 1/2000 of a second (fastest). Some DSLR's might have slower speeds, while other might have faster, but this is usually the average range.

This is why it becomes so hard to take pictures in a dark environment, because the lens must remain open for longer periods of time to capture enough light from the environment, which means that the camera MUST remain still or the pictures will come out blurry. Yes, there's always the use of a flash to compensate for whatever light is needed, but this usually distorts the intended picture even though it might come out clearly. It's always good to keep a tripod at hand.

However, depending on the camera you own, and on the results you want for your picture, this doesn't have to be the case. Take the picture I posted up top as en example. By setting the shutter speed at about 1/1000 of a second, the camera captured enough light from the lamp to create this image. Had I set it to a slower speed, the picture would look a lot brighter.

Well, that's my tip for the week. Hope you guys have liked the blog, and thank you for the comments. I really appreciate them.

Have a fantastic weekend everyone!

And remember... :P

2 comments:

Alejandro said...

I love to play with the shutter speed of my camera, specially when I put it really slow. I have wanted to get a camera that has a shutter speed of about 10 minutes so I can place it in a street at night to get those amazing pictures showing the car's lights as lines. It's incredible how much is involved with photography and you never stop learning new ways to play around with the camera. Learning to play with the shutter speed is a really nice way to make a picture look much better than the actual setting.

Johnny Martinez said...

You know I would have never imagined that there was so much to photography. Before I started following your page I really thought taking pictures was something less challenging and complicated. I mean ive seen good photography but I always thought it was just photoshop. I know it may seem pretty dumb coming from someone that knows little about the skill that you know so much, but it just goes to show you that there are things in the world that are hiding from sight and you have to stumble on it in order to find it out. The world is so full of undiscovered treasures and this is one undiscovered skill that might soon prove to be important to me, thank you man.